Friday, March 21, 2008

Once Upon a Time

One step at a time
I'll take yours
And give you mine
A love that could not be contained by the mind
The heart
And the world didn't understand
Smiles that shot across the room
On our mouths
In our eyes
Floating in the air
Breathing was the sweetest thing to me
When you caught my eye
And the air felt so alive in my lungs
And sweet words danced off my tongue
While I went home
And spun around and around
Smiling at nothing
And singing into nowhere
Wondering how someone could be as lucky as me
And that love conquered the world
Then handed it back
For freedom
Independence
All the things we couldn't experience
Not with each other
Not so young
With no identity
You could never know me
Not until I knew myself
So, that we did
And then we found
That our identities clash
And the memories of the way you looked at me
And that way my hand fit perfectly
Right into yours
Still finds me when I sleep
And I wake up smiling at my dreams
And you
I hope you find that again
And me... I know I will find it one day
Those eyes that tell me all those things
The things I could never fully believe about me
And I'll feel like the luckiest girl in the room
And know that the days are numbered
That these hands will always have to be empty

1 comment:

Margaret said...

This is really sweet, Catie. It really captures that innocence and pure hope. It is sweet, yet sad and aware. Those feelings that are part of your journey to becoming whole again.