Saturday, February 7, 2009

Let Go

I keep asking myself
Why I don't hate you anymore
I keep wondering
If I'll miss the sore
I'm looking at the phone as if you know
That today brings new things
As the winter brings the snow

I keep praying
Praying for you
Because now your salvation
Means more than a heart made of glue

Today I'll cry knowing
I'll never see you again in this life
But I hope to see you in heaven
I pray that you'll be alright

I contemplated time
And how it never healed my wounds
I looked for love
But it never came from you

I held on because it was the only thing I could do
And when God asked for my heart
I told him that I'd already given it to you
Because holding kept me safe
It kept my secrets
Gave me space

But today I hold nothing
Except a hand that won't let go
And as much as it hurt
I need you to know
That even in the dark times
Somewhere in the depths of your soul
The Truth is waiting
For you to let go

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I held on because it was the only thing I could do
And when God asked for my heart
I told him that I'd already given it to you
Because holding kept me safe
It kept my secrets
Gave me space"

I love these lines- I know that you said you were going for a simplified structure in this poem, but these lines convey so much and were strung together very eloquently. I know you always make side comments about how you're only a mediocre writer, but that's not true:) You know, this could be a song. I know that you love the guitar.... so I think u should get one & write your own music. I mean, I have heard you singing in the car and all... we do that a lot... I find it rather humorous... but you do have a good voice:) Just a suggestion. This poem is rather cryptic... you must tell me what it means when we hang out today... :)